A warm welcome to Cross Lane House, Allerford.
This historic property can be accurately dated to have originally been built in 1545, although there is evidence to suggest that certain aspects of the building pre-date this and that a building has existed on this site dating back to the 12th Century, where a small section still remains. The wall of Cross Lane House is also thought to have been erected around this period, and the position of the house, so close to a ford, would indicate that an early settlement is likely to have existed.
The current building can be accurately dated by the tree rings in the wooden roof beams which were felled in 1544, with the house being built during the spring and summer of 1545. Further evidence of accurate dating can be obtained by the wood being worked ‘green’, a common practice during the Tudor period. Having initially had a thatched roof, the builders would have worked speedily to thatch the roof before the bad winter weather set in.
The original house was traditional for this period, being a three room cross-passage plan, and it is very likely that one of the upper rooms has always been a parlour chamber. The main Hall would have been the centre of the house and a centrally located hearth would have provided heat for cooking and heating.
Allerford is home to the famous Packhorse Bridge. Built in the 15th century, this beautiful bridge stands testimony as a very rare example of early building craftsmanship still standing over 500 years after it was built. The bridge spans the Aller Brook and, as the name implies, it was built to carry mules and packhorses carrying all sorts of items and food for the village.
Cross Lane House was completley renovated in 2012 to create a luxury yet relaxed boutique hotel. We have a dedicated team local people engaged in offering outstanding levels of professional service throughout your visit.
Full Afternoon Tea: Tuesday – Sunday 2:30pm – 4:00pm (48 hours’ notice required)
Dinner: Served 7 days a week (from 1st July 2017)